K2xL.com

Discuss life, the internet, games, and everything in between.
It is currently May 22nd, 2017, 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which is Which?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 4:21 pm 

You are far away from all life, and all communication devices are dysfunctional. In this ream exist three godly beings. They are each all-knowing and all-powerful. However, one tells and has told only the truth, one tells and only has told lies, and the final one tells true statements and lies randomly. They are identical in appearance and speech.

You see it to yourself to find out which is the truth teller, which is the liar, and which is the random one. You are granted three yes or no questions to find out which is which. However, they respond with yes or no of a language which you have never encountered.

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Which is Which?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 5:13 pm 

When you say you are allowed 3 yes/no questions - do you mean that I can ask one question and obtain answers from all 3 of them and do this twice more, with 2 different questions; or does one question mean only asking a question to which ever one I choose and only this 1 of the 3 giving an answer (I hope you understand what I'm getting at lol :| ).

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 6:13 pm 

You ask a single question for them all to respond. You obtain their responses; then, you ask the second question.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 7:41 pm 

Okay I think I've got it .....

Mine only needs the first question to be answered by all 3. The 2nd question is only asked to 1 person and the final question is only asked to 1 person.

Firstly ask the question to each of them, "are you the random one?" this will always get either 2 yes's and a no, or 2 no's and a yes 'cos the liar will always reply yes and the truth-teller will always reply no, with the random one saying either yes or no.

We don't know which word means what but whichever answer is only given once, we know that he can't be the random one - we just don't know yet whether he is the liar or the truth-teller, so we now ask this one a question that he must answer no to - the question is, "are you the liar?". The truth-teller will reply no to this and the liar will reply no to this. So whatever word he replies with - this translates as "no". Now look at the answer that he gave to the first question. If he replied with the same word, then he said no to the first question so he must be the truth-teller. If he replied with a different word, then that word must mean yes and he must be the liar. So we now know the translation of the words and we have the identity of either the liar or the truth-teller (depending on what answers were given). Lastly, ask the truth-teller/liar, whilst pointing to one of the other 2 men, "is that the random one?" You can deduce the final identities, as you know the identity of the one you're asking the question to.

I've been over this several times and I'm fairly sure it works, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :( .

PostPosted: March 24th, 2008, 2:34 pm 

I was once told that this is humanly impossible in the english language. Yet, it seems to be quite possible. I'll check over yours again, though.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2013, 8:03 am 

You've got 3 people, and you don't know which is which.

question 1: Are you the random one? (we wont learn much til question 2, but from this question we force the truthful one and the liar to become discriminated by forcibly answering differently) (function of this question = isolate one god as NOT random-teller)
G: Bloop yes <=== only one to answer differently. This is logically NOT the random one.
O: Blarg no
D: Blarg no

question 2: Are you the liar? (function: discover what "yes" and "no" are, and identify truth and lie tellers)
we know that by asking this, truth AND lie teller must answer “no.” so whichever sound is repeated 2 or more times is now “no.” Also: whatever “G” says is “no” because we deduced he is not the random one via our first question.

Option:-----1---------------2-----------------3---------------4--------

G:------Blarg (no )---------Bloop (no)--------Bloop (no )--------Blarg (no )
O:------Blarg (no )---OR---Blarg (yes)---OR---Bloop (no )---OR---Blarg (no )
D:------Bloop (Yes)--------Bloop (no)--------Bloop (no )---------Blarg (no )

What we deduce from question 1 from question 2

Option 1: “Blarg” is no ===> O is truthful--------G lied, D is random. Solved
Option 2: “bloop” is no ===> G is truthful-------D lied, O is random. Solved
Option 3: “Bloop” is no ===> G is truthful------- O and D cannot be identified yet
Option 4: “blarg” is no ===> G is liar----------- O and D cannot be identified yet

For option 1 and 2 I assumed still that O’s and D’s answers were are interchangeable, I just wanted to simplify the chart.

Option 1 and 2 are solved in only 2 questions

Option 3: Ask G (truthful) if O is the random (by pointing).

G says yes or no, you now have all identities

Option 4: Ask G (Liar) if O is random (by poiting)

G says yes or no, you know he is lying and invert his answer and you now have all identities.

Safe flying in space!

Help please!!

[email protected]